Setting Up Airscout

General Aircraft Enhancement Discussion
VK2BJP
Forum Novice

Setting Up Airscout

Post by VK2BJP » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:48 am

G'day
I've been setting up AS and have come to a standstill, I've d/l the elevation data and installed the files in SRTM3 folder, the files show up in SRTM3 options screen, all seems to be ok

I,ve d/l the topo file "l10g" and installed in the Globe folder, but it still shows the UK map in "Globe" screen in options, am I d/ling the right file, VK3AMZ mentions 3 files in his installation guide, I can only find one in the download.

I can't get "planes" feed to show on the main screen, Planefinder.net works fine when I run it in windows, am I missing a step?.

I'm using ver 1.1.0.0 and win8. Thanks in advance Russ

VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Re: Setting Up Airscout

Post by VK5PJ » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:28 pm

Hello Russ,
VK2BJP wrote:G'day
I've been setting up AS and have come to a standstill, I've d/l the elevation data and installed the files in SRTM3 folder, the files show up in SRTM3 options screen, all seems to be ok

I,ve d/l the topo file "l10g" and installed in the Globe folder, but it still shows the UK map in "Globe" screen in options, am I d/ling the right file, VK3AMZ mentions 3 files in his installation guide, I can only find one in the download.

I can't get "planes" feed to show on the main screen, Planefinder.net works fine when I run it in windows, am I missing a step?.

I'm using ver 1.1.0.0 and win8. Thanks in advance Russ
The GLOBE display update is only triggered if the current image file is not found, so first off delete "elevation.bmp" from the subfolder /ElevationData/GLOBE

You need to get the GLOBE data separate from the STRM3 data from what I understand / remember, I tried to go through the globe data download process but the sites seem to be offline for me: http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/mgg/topo/globe.html

As far as the planes feed, I might be more help, I ran into the same problem, it seems to be all in the order in which the area of interest is entered.
airscout_settings.JPG
vk5pj settings
Initially I had mine in a different order to that in the graphic and could not get the planes feed to display, the Min Latitude must be the value furthest away from the equator, in my case -45

hope there is something useful in there.
Regards
Peter Sumner, vk5pj
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
- Winston Churchill

VK2BJP
Forum Novice

Post by VK2BJP » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:47 am

G'day Peter,
it appears that the link to download elevation data "for your own area" has been removed from the Global site, I've emailed Frank to see if there is an alternate site.

Regards Russ

VK2BJP
Forum Novice

Post by VK2BJP » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:17 pm

I emailed Frank with respect to the Globe maps, his reply,

G'day Frank,
I am setting up Airscout, but have been unable to download elevation data from the "Globe" site, the link to "download data for your area" on the NOAA site has been removed, is the another source for this data?

Regards Russ VK2BJP

Hi Russ,

tnx fer info. I do confirm that the GLOBE project changed URL, download method, file naming convention and data format. :x
Unless you are an European and you can use the default data file I am providing along with AirScout: GLOBE remains unusable at the moment.
This is not easy to fix but I will rewrite the code for handling the new GLOBE files including automatic downloading. Suppose I must publish a V1.1.0.1 soon...

Meanwhile try to download and use SRTM3 data. Quite a lot of MBs for download but it will be worth it.

73 de Frank, DL2ALF

PS: Pse publish the info to the other forum users.
[/i]

VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5PJ » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:10 am

Hi Russ,
I have ZIPPED up my globe data files, it is about 7.1 Mb. You can grab it from http://www.users.on.net/~pedroj/airscout/mydata.zip
When you run Airscout it will generate the bitmap image file for you, so that is not included.

Regards,
Peter Sumner, vk5pj
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
- Winston Churchill

VK2BJP
Forum Novice

Post by VK2BJP » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:32 am

[quote="VK5PJ"]Hi Russ,
I have ZIPPED up my globe data files, it is about 7.1 Mb. You can grab it from http://www.users.on.net/~pedroj/airscout/mydata.zip
When you run Airscout it will generate the bitmap image file for you, so that is not included.

Thx Peter,
I will try try them tonite when I get back home.

Regards Russ

VK4KAY
Forum Novice

Post by VK4KAY » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:51 pm

Obviously lots of trouble to get the current version working 1.1.0.0

Thanks to the above for the Globe file archive - I partially found another way to do it - but not worth mentioning here as the above solution works.

I will provide 2 more pieces of information - plane feed data - which currently doesnt work and downloading SRTM3 data.

SRTM3 data. A laborious task since the download function doesnt work in this version as the site has also changed.
However manually going to the link the USGS allows you to still download the data but one file at a time. http://dds.cr.usgs.gov/srtm/version2_1/SRTM3/Australia/
If you use a utility like "wget" ( http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/wget.htm) you can setup the computer to download the contents of the web folder for Australia which is something like 1060 files.
Then if you copy and paste them to the airscout/elevationdata/SRTM3 directory and then use Winzip to unzip them in that directory - all will work once you go into options/SRTM3 and tick the box, apply ok etc

Plane feed data. It doesnt work at all around the VK map as once again links have changed and owners of the various sites are protecting their feed/data etc.
However it still seems to be working for EU users. So I expanded the co-ords in the options/general tab to 0, 180 long and -50 to 65 Lat and I get SOME planes. It is a little erractic but at least I see a couple of planes with which to check the program operation until the fixes are released. This is with options/planes tab set with www.planefinder.net only. You may need to select it, apply, okay and exit the program and then go back in for it to work.

As I said it is erractic and doesnt always display planes - but it does start to load data at least with the occasional plane.

VK1JA
Forum Diehard

Post by VK1JA » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:41 pm

on a side note - is there SRTM1 data available for Australia?

Anybody have any links?